COVID-19 Housing Information
Latest Housing COVID-19 Updates & Statements
Updated as of August 11, 2021
August 10, 2021
Based on rising numbers of positive COVID-19 cases across the state of Texas and following the guidance of our university’s chief medical officer, Texas State students living in on-campus housing and Bobcat Village Apartments will need to complete a COVID-19 test prior to move-in.
Testing prior to arrival in San Marcos will allow individuals who are positive to isolate in their hometowns with support of family.
- You must complete a COVID-19 PCR test within 4 days prior to your assigned move-in date. Contact your healthcare provider or visit your state or local health department’s website to find the latest local information on testing.
- At move-in, you will need to show proof of a negative test result within the last 4 days OR documentation of a positive COVID-19 test within the last 90 days.
- Being fully vaccinated does not exempt you from testing due to the possibility of breakthrough cases among vaccinated individuals. Vaccinated individuals infected with Delta variant of COVID-19 can spread the virus to others.
- You are strongly encouraged to get the COVID-19 testing completed before arriving on campus. If you are unable to test before arrival, a limited number of free, rapid COVID-19 tests will be provided at the University Events Center on campus between 9am-5pm on August 15-17. Please allow 1-2 hours for this process. Students will not be permitted to check-in or move belongings into on-campus housing until a negative test result is received. Students who test positive will need to return home to isolate for 10 days before coming back to Texas State campuses.
- The department of Housing and Residential Life will be sending out revised instructions on where to begin the move-in process later this week.
While Texas State cannot currently require you to be vaccinated or to wear a face mask, we strongly urge you to get vaccinated and wear a mask indoors, regardless of vaccination status. These prevention measures significantly reduce the risk of infection and transmission of COVID-19. If you have not done so, please schedule a vaccine appointment today.
Guests at move-in are not required to be tested at this time.
July 19, 2021
The single most effective action that on-campus residents can take to help ensure a positive, successful, and more enjoyable housing experience is to be vaccinated prior to moving onto campus. Since May 2021, 99.9% of all COVID-19 deaths and serious illnesses requiring hospitalization have occurred among unvaccinated individuals.
Texas State on-campus students are highly encouraged to complete a COVID-19 test two weeks prior to residence hall move-in. Proof of testing is not required. During the two weeks prior to move-in students are encouraged to limit their activities and public interactions. Mask wearing is optional and DHRL encourages all Bobcats to be respectful and supportive of individuals who continue to utilize a mask for personal and/or medical reasons.