Chautauqua Hall, centrally located on campus, supports our continued “green” initiatives and has received GOLD LEED certification by the United States Green Building Council.
Chautauqua Hall is a New Traditional Hall with four to six pods per floor and eight to ten residents per pod who share a keyed multi-bathroom.
Extra-Long Twin Bed (80" Mattress)
Desk and Desk Chair
Pool and Ping-Pong Tables
Lobby and Study Lounge
Full Community Kitchen
Wifi Internet Connection in Room
Conference / Multi-Purpose Room
History of Chautauqua
Chautauqua Hall is named for Chautauqua Hill. Chautauqua Hill is part of an eleven acre tract of land donated in the 1800s by the citizens of San Marcos that would eventually become The Southwest Texas State Normal School. Since the university’s establishment in 1899 to now, the campus covers an impressive 457 acres, including the pinnacle of Chautauqua Hill where Old Main sits.
Chautauqua hall features artwork inspired by the San Marcos River. The “Fish Bellies,” created by artists Joe O’Connell and Blessing Hancock of Creative Machines resides in the courtyard between Gaillardia and Chautauqua halls. Made of layers of frosted acrylic, the Fish Bellies’ forms draw inspiration from the social and biological diversity of the nearby San Marcos River reflecting parallels between its ecological life and the University’s varied student body. During the day, the piece’s translucency operates like an ethereal anatomy whereas at night it transforms into a bioluminescent landscape.