Skip to Content


Incoming students, current students and parents tend to have many questions concerning on-campus living. Our frequently asked questions are divided into the following catergories to best address your concerns.

Expand or Collapse all.

Housing Contract

When Can I Sign a Housing Contract?

As soon as you have received your acceptance letter from the Office of Admissions you will be able to sign the housing contract.

The sooner you sign the contract, the better chances you have for getting your top choice of hall.

The contract is a legally binding agreement for one full academic year.

Can I Be Exempt from Living On Campus?

There are only a select few reasons in which exemptions can be submitted.

The housing policy requires certain students to live on campus, but some exemptions do apply.

 These exemption requests must be submitted and approved instead of submitting a housing contract.

Exemptions may take up to three weeks to process.


Can I Cancel my Contract?

The contract is a legally binding agreement for one full academic year.

You can cancel within 3 business days without penalty. After the 3 business days, restrictions will apply and requests will be reviewed but cannot be guaranteed.


Do I Have to Sign a Housing Contract?

If you are required to live on campus per our housing policy you will not be able to register for classes without a housing contract or approved exemption.


What is the Housing Prepayment?

At the end of the contract you may be prompted to pay the prepayment with a credit or debit card. New students that had their application fee waived when they applied for admission to the university will automatically have their housing prepayment deferred.

You must pay a $300 prepayment (unless it is deferred)—it will become a credit once bills are calculated.

At this point the contract is a legally binding agreement for one full academic year.


How Do I Pay for Housing?

Charges for housing are added to your university student billing account through Student Business Services (SBS).

Bills are calculated in early August. The housing contract is an academic year long contract, you will pay for housing per semester.


Residence Halls

Where Can First-Year Students Live?

Housing at Texas State is unique because students choose which hall they would like to live in, so first-year students can choose any available space in the halls.

However, the Department of Housing and Residential life believes a traditional hall is the best for first-year students. These halls create a strong sense of community and students living in traditional halls tend to do better academically and socially.

Housing is first-come, first served so make sure to sign a contract as soon as possible.


Can First-Year Students Live in Bobcat Village?

Any student who is at least 18 years of age at the time of move-in may select to live in Bobcat Village, including First-Year Students.

However, the Department of Housing and Residential life believes a traditional hall is the best for first-year students. These halls create a strong sense of community and students living in traditional halls tend to do better academically and socially.


When Do I Choose my Hall?

Once your contract is completed and you've made a prepayment, you are placed into a group. Each group will be assigned a date to select a roommate, and a later date to select their residence hall.

Please check your email regularly—and don't miss your assigned selection day. Students who don't participate in the process will be assigned by our office at the very end, after all other students are assigned.


Can I Bring a Car?

Any student can bring a car to campus, you must register with Parking Services to purchase a parking permit.

How Safe are the Halls?

Each residence hall is equipped with an electronic access system that reads your student identification card. Non-residents do not have access into any residence hall unless a resident esorts them. Entrance doors to the main lobby of the each residence hall complex are open during regular business hours; all other exterior doors are locked 24 hours a day.

Visitors are only permitted to enter a building accompanied by their host and must be escorted at all times.  Entrance to residence hall by other means is not permitted.


You can help protect yourself by:

  • calling your RD, RA or UPD if you see any suspicious indiviuals loitering in the area
  • keeping all entrance/exit doors un-propped
  • refusing to open the door to non-residents
  • closing doors that you see propped open
  • keeping your room and/or suite door locked at all times
  • contacting a staff member immediatley if you lose your key
  • reporting a missing ID card immediatley to ID Services

How are Genders Handled in the Halls?

Each Residence Hall has a different style of gender separation.

Most halls are Single Gender by Floor, with the entire floor or wing and bathrooms on that floor/wing consisting of the same gender.

Suite Style halls are Single Gender by Suite / Coed by Floor, meaning that each room will contain the same gender but there may be multiple genders on each floor.

Bobcat Village is Single Gender by Apartment with each apartment consisting of the same gender.

Female Only and Male Only halls are also available.

What are the Living-Learning Communities?

A learning community is a group of students with a common interest or major who live together on the same floor of a residence hall. Find more information about the Living-Learning Communities.

Housing Accommodations

Students, who have a need for an on-campus housing accommodation, are required to submit their request to the Office of Disability Services (ODS). Review of those requests will be undertaken by the ODS staff and a specific room type accommodation is suggested to the DHRL staff. 

 A housing contract must also be submitted to be considered for an on-campus housing accommodation.


Do Halls have Wireless Internet?

Most halls only have wireless internet access in the common areas (lobby, study rooms). Students will need to bring an ethernet cord to access the internet in individual rooms.  Wireless routers are not permitted.

 Falls, Sayers, Angelina and San Gabriel have wireless internet throughout the building.


Are Washer and Dryers Available?

Each hall has a laundry room with high efficiency washer and dryers available only to the residents of that hall. The cost to use the washers and dryers is built into the price of the hall—no need to bring any quarters.

You must bring high efficiency laundry detergent to use with the washers.


Can I bring a Refrigerator or Microwave?

A microwave and full-size refrigerator are provided in the community kitchen(s) of each hall. San Marcos Hall comes equipped with a microwave and refrigerator in each suite.

 Students are not permitted to bring microwaves.

Students can bring 1 refrigerator (4.5 cubic feet or less) for each room. Blanco Hall triple occupancy rooms and San Marcos Hall suites may bring an additional refrigerator (2.5 cubic feet or less).


Television and Cable

Each hall has a T.V. in the lobby, and some halls have projector / movie theatre rooms that are available.

Televisions are allowed in the rooms, and basic cable is provided by Grande Communications.

You will need to bring a cable cord to access the service—premium channels can be added at the student's own expense, just contact Grande Communications for additional packages.

 Televisions may not be mounted to the wall.




How Often are Restrooms Cleaned in the Halls?

Traditional Style Halls

Restrooms are cleaned each weekday.

Suite Style Halls

Restrooms are cleaned every other week, all personal belongings must be removed from the bathroom by 10 a.m on the assigned cleaning day.

Apartment Style

Students are responsible for cleaning their own bathroom.


Kitchen Usage

Each halls has a community kitchen(s) that residents may use. Hours and guidelines for use of common kitchens are posted in the halls. The custodial staff is only responsible for emptying trash and mopping the floor. Residents are responsible for all other cleaning needs. Misuse or abuse may result in limited hours or closure of the kitchen.