DHRL is committed to conserving water and resources, as well as promoting recycling and green living in our residential communities. We have taken steps in the right direction including:
· Creating recycling programs
· Providing water-saving laundry facilities
· Initiating an all-hall recycle program
· Using recycled materials in hall offices
· Installing water bottle filling stations at residences
These small changes go a long way and make a difference. We ask that you join us in this effort to keep the world in good shape for generations to come.
Department of Housing and Residential Life’s Sustainability Committee
DHRL instituted its own sustainability committee in 2009 with the mission to foster sustainability awareness in our residential communities. The committee works closely with student groups to institute sustainability initiatives such as: in-room recycling, energy and water conservation as well as recycling awareness during move-in and move out.
Sustainable products recommended for your room include...
· Desk lamps with LED lights or CFLs
· Eco-friendly alarm clocks
· Energy star-rated mini refrigerator
· Energy star-rated personal fan
· Biodegradable laundry powder
· "Oxy" bleach alternatives
· Non-synthetic, petroleum-free laundry baskets and bags
· Eco-friendly clothes hangers
· Rechargeable batteries
· Water filter pitcher
· Reusable non-plastic water bottles
Recycling and Conserving in your room by...
· Closing shades to block out heat from the sun and reduce need for A/C.
· Turning air conditioners and thermostats warmer or off when not in your room.
· Keeping lights off whenever possible.
· Taking shorter showers and turn off running water when not in use.
· Turning off all appliances when not in use (i.e. computers, TVs, radios).
· Placing beverage containers, paper, cardboard, and other recyclables in designated hall recycling areas.