DHRL is committed to doing what we can to conserve water and resources, as well as promoting recycling and green living in our residential communities. We have taken many steps in the right direction including:
· Creating recycling programs
· Providing water-saving laundry facilities
· An all hall recycle program
· Using recycled materials in hall offices
· Installing water bottle filling stations at residences
These small changes we are making within our residence halls can go a long way and make a difference. We ask that you join us in this effort to keeping the world in good shape for generations to come.
For more information pertaining to our conservation efforts, please visit us at the University Star or our Sustainablility/Conservation announcements.
Department of Housing and Residential Life’s Sustainability Committee
DHRL instituted its own sustainability committee in 2009 with the mission to foster sustainability awareness in our living and learning communities. The Committee works closely with resident student groups to institute sustainability initiatives such as: in-room recycling, energy and water conservation as well as recycling awareness during move-in and move out.
Sustainable products recommended for your room
· Desk lamps with LED lights or CFLs
· Eco-friendly alarm clocks
· Energy-star-rated mini refrigerator
· Energy-star-rated personal fan
· Biodegradable laundry powder
· "Oxy" bleach alternatives
· Non-synthetic, petroleum-free laundry baskets and bags
· Eco-friendly clothes hangers
· Rechargeable batteries
· Water filter pitcher
· Reusable non-plastic water bottles
Recycling and Conserving in your room
o Close shades to block out heat from the sun and reduce need for A/C.
o Turn air conditioners and thermostats warmer or off when not in your room.
o Keep lights off whenever possible.
o Take shorter showers and turn off running water when not in use.
o Turn off all appliances when not in use (i.e. computers, TVs, radios).
o Place beverage containers, paper, cardboard, and other recyclables in designated hall recycling areas.