Butler is located on the south part of central campus adjacent to the park-like Concho Mall area which is a popular spot for residents to relax or throw a football when the weather is nice. Residents also have the opportunity to spend more time outdoors at nearby Sewell Park. The hall is a traditional coed facility.
History of Butler
Butler Hall opened in 1965 and is named for Mary Stuart Butler, who was a vocal music teacher at Southwest Texas State Normal School from 1903 to 1942. At the start of her career, the music department only offered three courses consisting of the knowledge of the major and minor scales along with sight reading exercises. Mary Butler exclusively taught for seventeen years the classes offered by the music program and directed an opera which combined the music and speech departments.
|Hall Details and Amenities||Room Details|
|238 residents||ethernet connections||desks (2)|
|three floors||pool table||desk chairs (2)|
|air conditioned||tv and study lounges||standard twin beds (2)|
|vending machines||laundry room||dressers (2)|
|24-hour visitation||kitchen facilities with microwave||night stands (1)|
|floor plans||lofting kits provided|
|room size: 10x13*|
|window size: 75x54|
*Due to the uniqueness of all of our residence hall rooms, the sample dimensions given are not uniform for every room. Room sizes and layouts may vary.