Texas State University Logo
Banner Image
515 N. Comanche (physical)
601 University Dr. (mailing)
San Marcos, TX 78666
Phone: (512)245-HOME (4663)
Fax: (512)245-7619

Housing Links

University Links

Join the Conversation

adjust type sizemake font smallermake font largerreset font size

Exemption from the University Housing Policy

The role of the Department of Housing and Residential Life is to support the academic mission of the University through the provision of on-campus housing. The university housing policy requires that certain students live on campus. Certain exemptions do apply. These exemption requests must be submitted prior to submitting a housing contract. Please see the information below for more information. Please note that exemption requests may take up to three (3) weeks to process.  The length of the review process depends for which reason you are submitting an exemption and the volume of previously submitted exemption requests.

Completed exemption requests need to be submitted at least three (3) weeks before orientation for processing. Students who fail to submit a completed exemption within three weeks of their scheduled orientation may have a delay in registering for classes.

Acceptable reasons to submit an exemption request:

Expand or Collapse all.

Summer Hours Exception

Students (either newly admitted or current students) can choose to take extra hours in summer school in order to reach the required hours needed to be exempt from the housing policy. Students must submit proof of completed hours by July 15th for the fall semester. The following items are required to submit to request an exemption based on summer hours:

Commuting from the Home of Your Parent/Legal Guardian

Students are allowed to commute from the permanent legal residence of a parent (or legal guardian) if that residence is located within 60 miles (driving distance) of the main University campus. This type of request will only be considered prior to occupancy. Once the academic year begins, and/or the student has occupied the space, this type of request will not be considered. The following documents are required for this type of request:

  • University Housing Exemption/Cancellation form Fall 2014/Spring 2015 (requires student and parent signature)
  • Copy of student birth certificate (or guardian's legal custody order)
  • Copies of driver's licenses for parent (or legal guardian) and student. The addresses must match.


Financial Need

Students requesting an exemption based on financial need must show proof of the need and that submit a written statement explaining their financial situation.  If you would like to request an exmeption based on financial need, you must provide the following:

  • A completed Request for an Exemption/Cancellation form Fall 2014/Spring 2015
  • A completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
  • A detailed explanation indicating your need 


Married and/or Parent

Students who are married or have children are allowed to file an exemption request to live off-campus in order to better accommodate their living situation. If you are legally married or have a child please submit the required documents below.

  • A completed Request for an Exemption/Cancellation form Fall 2014/Spring 2015.
  • Copy of filed marriage certificate (for marriage-based requests only).
  • Copy of child's birth certificate (for parent-based requests).


Internship or Student Teaching Opportunity

Students who plan to be away from San Marcos participating in a University-sponsored internship or student teaching position can choose to file an exemption form. If you have a position that prohibits you from being able to live on campus, please submit the following:

  • A completed Request for Exemption/Cancellation form Fall 2014/Spring 2015.
  • Verification of the position from the sponsoring University department.


Documented Disability or Medical Condition

If the student is claiming a disability or medical condition as the reason for an exemption, Housing and Residential Life will need to determine if the student’s stated accommodation can be met in any of the University’s residence halls or apartments. The department will review submitted information with the Office of Disability Services (ODS) and/or the Student Health Center to determine if the stated needs can be met. The following requirements must be submitted in order for this type of request to be considered:

Medical-Based Requests

  • A completed Request for an Exemption/Cancellation form Fall 2014/Spring 2015.
  • A detailed explanation of the student's need.
  • Documents, in the form of doctor’s case notes, from the student’s medical provider must be supplied. (for medical-based requests)
  • Registration with ODS. (for disability-based requests)